Push notifications are one of the crucial communication channels. Their ability to reach instantly in any part of the world has played a vital role in bringing customers to a business platform.
These days both Android and iOS push notifications are playing a major role in the expansion of the business. Moreover, react-native push notifications for both android and iOS mobile applications are setting new benchmarks.
But, the thing that draws our attention is the trend of push notifications on iOS. These days push notifications for iOS platforms are a major part of a discussion. Both iOS 12 and iOS 13 have brought more freedom and features for push notifications.
Let us discuss this trend in detail.
1) Grouping: This feature is accepted with open arms by both business owners and customers. This feature allows push notifications from the same app to be shown in a group. This means now users need not involve in any unnecessary cluttering on the lock screen. This feature has given more freedom with personalization and has provided a relevant space on the lock screen.
The main motive behind this feature was to show only relevant information to the users. It also means that you are going to send only that push notifications to users that are relevant to the user’s interest. If the users find any irrelevant push notifications, they are in control to swipe your notification off the screen. This will make all of your push notifications to swipe off from the screen and they will be completely ignored.
2) Separate OS for both iPhones and iPads: With iOS 13, Apple is going to discontinue support for iPads. This means the iPads will be powered by other OS. This OS will be solely built for iPads.
This means you will not be able to design the same iOS push notification for both iPhone and iPad. This also means that there will be more segmentations in the case of the target users.
3) New notification center: The new notification center and manage notifications system has come up with new features. Now you can easily control the way you receive push notifications directly from the lock screen as well as from the home screen.
This also means you are in control to change permissions quickly from the iOS app. Now it’s in your hand to adjust, how you want to receive your notifications.
When it comes to sending push notifications, you need to make sure that you are sending high-quality push notifications. If you are sending uninteresting push notifications on a regular basis, the audience can mute you or they can entirely turn off your push notifications. This means there is no space for spamming and aggressive use of push notifications anymore.
4) Smart notifications: With iOS 13, push notifications are ready to get smarter than ever. Now you will receive push notifications curated according to your preferences from associated apps.
Now you will get Carousel notifications that are enabled with up to 6 products and their details. This is going to help a sender with increased conversion rates. In other words, this will enhance the overall user experience.
5) More security: Apple had paid huge importance to the security of the push notifications. Apple is switching from a less secure TLSv1 protocol to a more secure http/2 protocol.
This means now you can enjoy more personalized and secured push notifications.
6) More privacy: When it comes to privacy, Apple takes utter care of this. Apple has provided its user an ability to have more information about the data that they are going to share.
Now you can select notification preferences, actions, visibility, notifications alert, etc. This will provide you with a more user-friendly environment.
7) Notification service extension: This is a new feature that is introduced by Apple in iOS 13. This feature directly deals with the permissions regarding the user data usages in the background. This means now you can collect information about your users in the background. What you need to do is to enable this service and you are done.
8) New attributes for APNS API headers: There had been a lot of changes for push notifications in iOS 13. Now onwards the retrieval of push tokens is required to be updated to a different format. This will allow you to easily access the description.
You are required to update the headers of APNS payloads. This will be kept according to the type of push notifications. This is a crucial step to follow, as without this update the delivery of the push notification will be delayed.
Conclusion: With the implementation of both iOS 12 and iOS 13, a lot of changes had taken place in the way you send and receive push notifications. More controls are provided to both the sender and receiver. This has enhanced the experience of using push notifications on iOS. Now push notifications on iOS are more personalized and provide a rich user experience.
About the Author: Wonderpush provides you an ability to use react native push notifications for both android and iOS mobile applications. Now enjoy the power of attracting customers by simply implementing iOS push notifications.