MAC address is a term that you would have come across if you’ve been in the world of networking. Unlike IP address, which is dynamically allotted depending on the network your device is in, MAC address is definite and unchangeable. So, it becomes the easiest way to recognize your unique device from the list of many in a network. If you like to manage the devices in your network, you will have to find the MAC address of your device — some time or other.
Earlier, in Windows 7 and the versions before, this was a tough task. You had to open so many windows and sub-sections to find the MAC address of a device in the list. With Windows 8.1 and 10, however, things have changed a lot. In short, if you want to find the MAC address in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, it’s one of the easiest tasks ever. In this article, however, we have created a simple guide on how to do that. As it happens, there are two major paths to do this:
#1 Using the Modern Windows Interface
As you know, the modern UI is one of the best things about Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 when compared to the previous versions. You can use this User Interface to easily find the MAC address of your device when necessary. You just have to follow the simple steps we have detailed below.
- You have to open the Start menu (Start search on Windows 8.1) and search for ‘Network Connection’ in the area.
- Now, you will be able to see a bunch of results and you have to choose ‘Network connection settings’ from the options you can see.
- In the upcoming window, you will be able to see the connections available in the device. Now, choose the connection that you want to find the MAC address of and double click on it.
- Have a look at the Properties section of the network and you will be able to spot the MAC address. Do note that MAC address is dubbed as Physical Address here.
You can either note down the MAC address or simply copy it to your clipboard for later use. This is the best and easiest method if you don’t want to get into the specifics of networking and stuff.
#2 Using Command Prompt
In case you did not know, Command Prompt is one of the most versatile things in Windows OS. You can use the Command Prompt to find the MAC address of available connection adaptors. To do this, you have some easy steps to follow.
- You have to open Command Prompt by searching cmd on the Start search.
- Once the CMD is open, you have to type the following command and press Enter.
- Now, CMD would be displaying the list of network adaptors in the device.
- Find the network adaptor that you are looking for and the MAC address would be shown right nearby that.
- Just note down the address as per your needs.
This is the best method if you want more details regarding the network connection. However, this may not be as convenient as the first method.
The Bottom Line
You can use the abovementioned methods to find the MAC address of a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device with ease. While both methods are useful and easy, the first one is the best for convenience. By the way, if you are connected to the Internet, you can go to Connection Properties and find the MAC address from that window as well. As we always say, you can choose the best method as per your needs.